Home About the Monastery Description & Churches

Description & Churches in the Monastery

E-mail Print PDF

The origin of the name "Kalamoun": It is derived from the Greek word "kalamos" which means reed or as a genetic term for any plant that is neither a bush nor a tree a very suitable and descriptive name for this marsh.

The monastery is near the northern end of Wadi-El-Mouleh which is a continuation of great depression comprising Fayoum and Wadi-El-Rayan.

There are some wells inside the monastery, used for irrigation and washing purposes, but the water can't be used as drinking water because of its high salinity.

The monastery can be easily reached by private vehicles suitable for going driving through the desert tracks.

It takes about 2.5 hours from Maghagha in Minia Province (60 km. From the monastery) it can also be reached through the Cairo Assiout Western Desert Road (230 km. from Cairo).

 

The Catacomb Church:

  • The haikal screen is made of stone blocks. Two steps lead up to the haikal.
  • At the east end of which stands a marble column, 1.05m high.

 

St. Missael the Anchorite church:

  • The church was built by Father Issac about A.D. 1905. It has one stone haikal screen. The church contains the body of St. Bisada and St. Domatious.

 

The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary:

  • It has twelve domes. The two feretories standing at the northern wall of the church contain the relics of St. Samuel and St. Apollo.

 

 

About the monastery

St. Samuel Coptic Orthodox Monastery in the Kalamoun Mountain, under the auspices of His Grace Bishop Bassilios